A visit to Watersheddings awaited a rampant Littleborough as they aimed to build on their convincing win at Ladyhouse, the previous weekend.


Hosts Oldham sent Littleborough in and were soon amongst the wickets as Leach 0 became the first of the five wickets for Leyland as the hosts took the initiative. Whipp and Brown started to wrestle the game away from Oldham with a useful stand of 27 then the game began to swing towards the home side.


The prize wicket of Brown fell as Lawton took a well taken catch off H. Wilkinson and the collapse had begun. First to go was Wilfred Bowden 4 who was trapped in front, again off Leyland and Smith 6 and debutant Simpson 0 soon followed.


Opener Whipp was ploughing a lone furrow but help was at hand as Fred Wilkinson came to his assistance. The pair put on a valuable partnership to take Littleborough past fifty. The acceleration which was needed unfortunately brought the downfall of Whipp as Platt took a smart catch, again off Leyland for a fine 25


Wilkinson lost partners at worrying regularity as this see saw innings leaned once again towards the hosts as they took two quick wickets. Massey 2 and Clegg 3 departed in the same over as Littleborough were eight down with 100 seeming an eternity away.


Wilkinson found an ally as the Littleborough tail wagged with a vengeance. Ernest Bowden entered the fray at 10 scoring a fantastic fifty, with some entertaining batting which embarrassed the red faced top order.


He lost Wilkinson 19 along the way as the hundred was reached, caught out by boundary rider Goodman. Bowden had a fabulous ally in number eleven Hurst. Together they started to run the Oldham team ragged for the first time in the game and they began to look worried as boundaries were scored with impunity by both batsmen.


The partnership was eventually broken at 147 a total that was definitely out of reach an hour earlier. Bowden was eventually dismissed thanks to a sharp catch by Tyldesley leaving Hurst high and dry for a well made unbeaten 19. Leyland was the star with he ball as his 19.0-5-47-5 always kept the hosts on top until the latter stages of the innings. He was well supported by Walker with remarkable figures of 32.0-0- 20-3 and Harry Wilkinson 13.0-0-20-3 The total of 147 would certainly be a challenge for the hosts.

The second innings was a mirror image of the first as once again wickets fell regularly. Ernest Bowden took the ball and caused havoc with both Walker 0 and Platt 4 went in the space of three balls as Oldham slumped to 4-2

Professional Leyland needed to stabilise the innings but unfortunately couldn’t find anyone to stay with him as wickets fell quickly. Brown joined the party as they between them took the wickets of Whiteoak 9, Tyldesley 0, Brindle 5 and Holt 9 as Oldham were reeling at 72-7

Lawton gave the professional much needed support with an obdurate 17 as Leyland in particular punished the visiting attack. Wilfred Bowden took a smart catch to dismiss Lawton and with Earp 5 out soon after Oldham were down and out.

Leyland brought up his fifty with an elegant shot off Brown but only lasted one more ball as Fred Wilkinson brought the innings to an end taking the catch to dismiss both Leyland and indeed Oldham.

Only two bowlers were necessary as both Bowden 15.0-6-36-6 and Brown 16.0-3-66-4 gave Littleborough a 44 run victory and a game against local rivals Milnrow at Hare Hill awaited next Saturday.