Littleborough visited local rivals Walsden looking for the win that would put pressure on the sides above them. The match was the F. Scott benefit game with the proceeds going to Scott and his family.

The visitors batted first and got off to a fine start thanks to Massey and Leach. The opening bowlers Crabtree and the former Boro player Scott initially bowling a nagging length but the batsmen began to punish any wayward deliveries with ruthless venom.

The partnership was broken when Massey 25 wandered out of his crease and was stumped by wicketkeeper A. Sunderland.

The prize wicket soon followed in the same over as Jackson took a fine catch to dismiss the dangerous William Brown for 3

Leach was joined by Wilfred Bowden who quickly decided that the best form of defence is attack as he set about the Walsden bowlers with relish leaving Leach as a virtual spectator.

Heard came into the attack and the flow of runs ended dramatically as he bowled a fine line and length from the onset. His fine bowling was rewarded, when in his fourth over, Leach played his first shot in anger off Heard and was caught by Halliwell for a fine 24. Smith came to the crease and together with Bowden began to take control with any wayward deliveries being dispatched both to and over the boundary as the runs began to flow with ominous regularity.

Crabtree eventually came back into the attack replacing the expensive Ormerod who had been the unlucky bowler who the Littleborough batsman had targeted. Crabtree was rewarded when Bowden 34 completely played round a straight delivery and had his stumps disturbed.

Hurst 10 and Whipp 14 came and went as the score passed 150 but Wilkinson was the perfect foul for Smith as they remained unbeaten to guide Littleborough to a more than useful 203-6 at the close.

Walsden needed to match Littleborough’s tenacity to challenge the visitors score, and openers Crabtree and Kershaw started aggressively against Brown and Wilfred Bowden. Crabtree in particular was looking dangerous with calculated aggression with all bowlers treated alike.

Kershaw was first to go as Bowden rearranged his stumps for 18 any thoughts Littleborough had of the run rate decreasing were immediately allayed as Hargreaves also batted with aggression. With the total on 80-1 the large Walsden contingent appeared confident of victory but Littleborough had other ideas as Bowden bowled Crabtree for a fine 35

Beneficiary Scott joined Hargreaves but next ball he was gone, bowled by the rampaging Bowden for a duck, maybe his mind was on other things? Halliwell and Hargreaves needed to build the momentum once again and maintain the health run rate.

It was now 150- 3 and Walsden certainly had the upper hand as both batsmen looked comfortable. But Whipp was brought into the attack and struck immediately to dismiss Hargreaves thanks to a catch by Massey for a potentially match winning 58. But any dreams of a comfortable victory for the home side began to evaporate as Whipp was proving unplayable. His figures of 4-12 off 9 overs tore the heart out of the Walsden side as from a position of dominance were now trying desperately to stave off defeat.

The draw was achieved thanks to the Sunderland brothers Fred was 6* and Alfred 3* saw Walsden to 187-9 sixteen runs short of victory. Of the final four games remaining, three were at Hare Hill and Littleborough knew they would potentially need maximum points to retain the CLL title, beginning with the visit of Royton next Saturday.